Writing takes center stage today, the National Day on Writing, thanks in large measure to the National Local authority or council of Teachers of English and the National Writing Project. This respectable National Day observance spotlights “the foundational place of writing in Americans’ personal, professional, and civic lives, and to specify benefit of writing instruction and practice at every grade level, for every student and in every subject area from preschool through university.
The main celebration includes the unveiling today of the National Gallery of Writing, an online bunch of documents sent in by teachers, students, and community members. There you’ll view everything from National Day Today professional pieces to fiction, poems, photos, and more. Be sure to visit-and take your kids with you. Meanwhile, schools in the united states are in on the action, too, with writing marathons and workshops, family writing nights, author visits, and more, promising to keep the focus on writing in every subject throughout the year-even mathematics.
Writing, as noted, is, indeed, foundational–the attraction in our lives that keeps us connected one to the other via talks, emails, texting, letters, thank you notes–even recipke sharing. Moreover, said former University of California us president Richard Atkinson: “Writing is a critical skill for success National Day Today in college and beyond. inch It’s so important that colleges and businesses ultimately convinced the school Board to add a writing portion to its SATs, which it did in 2005. Now, along with reading and mathematics, students must craft a 25-minute essay, together with multiple choice questions about phrase errors, choosing the right version of a piece of writing, and improving a part.
To do these things well takes practice–lots of computer, not only at school, but at home, too, so support your son or daughter’s writing efforts by.
- Purchasing a writer’s notebook, a place to put in writing interesting observations, items of meaningful talks, cool facts, great quotes, information, and much more. Such entries can then serve as a source for longer pieces in the future.
- Providing a thesaurus, book and How to Spell It for easy reference and accuracy.
- Starting a word wall for freshly encountered words of interest on listing cards and posting them, together with their descriptions, parts of speech, and a phrase.
- Encouraging “copy-change” writing, whereby she uses her own National Day Today words but imitates the form and structure of another writer.
- Having him loosen up first by “free writing” for five minutes about a favored person, place, thing, or event, then writing for five minutes about something horrible, be it lean meats, bats, or the dentist.
- Making it mandatory on some pre-writing first, such as brainstorming a subject by creating a list of associated phrases and words before launching into a piece of writing.
Meanwhile, make writing a fundamental National Day calendar element of family life, as well. For instance:
- Have your child write a note, memory piece, or poetry and share it with a relative or family member.
- Make letter writing a habit in your home, sending them to friends, family members, Father christmas, anyone. As USA Today’s Craig Wilson reminds us, “There is something about a letter, something about holding it in your hand, something about realizing that someone actually sat for a an hour and thought about what to say to you. inch
- Message each other frequently, leaving notes What is Today on pillows, companies, kitchen tables, lunch bags, refrigerator doors, wherever.
- Write your life story as a gift to your child, strengthening the bond between you.
- Begin a new family tradition insurance agencies your child write an annual “Year in Review, inch thus creating a regular record of his childhood to be savored over the years.
- On birthdays, ask family members to give written gifts: short stories and remembered moments to share with you with the honoree.
- Get postcards into the act-not just on vacations National Day calendar but anytime, sending greetings to those both near and far.
- Make sure everyone writes thank you notes instead of a quick phone call or email.
- Maintain a family journal, a record of your lives over time, complete with captioned pictures.
- Encourage writing letters to the publisher of your newspaper in respond to articles and/or opinion pieces.
- Promote journal writing-and respect privacy.
- Help your child find What National day is Today a pencil friend to overlap with over the years through such organizations as the Student Letter Exchange.
At the Gallery of Writing and advancing your son or daughter’s writing skills, you’ll be supporting his educational, social, and professional success. As National Day Today the Philadelphia Literacy Framework advises: “Writing is an essential skill in most places, where it serves as an approach of posing and resolving problems, of making reports, and or convincing others to take a particular action. inch There is no better way to honor this National Day on Writing.